The ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error appears as soon as you try to access your QuickBooks Desktop application. Sometimes, there is no error on the screen and the computer freezes completely. These are also signs of the same error. The best possible way to fix the same is to downgrade back to Windows 7.
In this blog we have tried to list down all the possible causes, troubleshooting steps and error control checks for ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error.
About the error ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’
Many a times, small to mid-sized business owners who are highly dependent on QuickBooks face this error. This program needs to run smoothly to ensure business operations. Business owners generally download and install Windows 10 pro and this is seen to be the most important reason behind the error ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’. Desktops running on windows 7 generally do not encounter this issue.
In order to make a quick fix to this pestering issue, you can reach out to our Accountingisssue.com QuickBooks experts from the ease of your own location. These experts offer requisite support without surrendering to security and integrity of your financial data.
Causes of ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error
There can be multiple causes which lead to ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error. Some of these primary issues have been discussed below.
- Name of company is too long
- INI file is Damaged and/or missing
- Hard drive corruption
- Program file damage
- Error in QuickBooks Desktop installation
- Windows operating system damage
Some other secondary causes of this error are as follows:
- Low or unavailable system resources
- Multiple installation errors
- Major conflicts with some other program or background process
Resolving the error ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’
Many a times, a Windows 2010 installation causes this. Or a 2011 program became incompatible with Windows 10 and the system wants an installation of version 2017. Below given are some of the most tried and tested methods to resolve the error ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’.
Resolution 1: Go to our installation guide and read our diagnostic steps
- Save the guide that we give you onto your local desktop.
- As per our guide and technician’s instructions you need to close all open programs
- This process might take 20mins to resume and complete. This will be dependent on your broadband/Wi-Fispeed and computer's make and performance.
- After you are done with the steps, you need to restart the computer.
Resolution 2: Temporarily disable the anti-virus program on your PC
- First you have to restart or reboot your PC (computer).
- Then you need to restart your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- If the error ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ persists you have to disable your anti-virus suite. This is temporary.
Resolution 3: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
- It’s now time to rename the QBWUSER.ini file. This process will erase your previously opened company files. So manually re-open your company files one by one.
- Then you have to rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- In case your program opens fine after renaming QBWUSER.ini or EntitlementDataStore.ecml, you are safe.
If not, open a sample company file.
- In case sample file is not your company file, try to copy and paste it to another folder. This happens because your current folder is damaged. So you have to repair the same.
- In case you fail to sign into your file after the previous step, your company file is itself damaged.
Now it is time to restore earlier backups of the same file.
In case you fail to open the sample company file, actual QuickBooks installation is damaged.
Resolution 4: Reinstall
Try to reinstall QuickBooks once again freshly on your PC
Resolution 5: Create a fresh Windows Admin user
By creating a new user account on your Windows OS, you will eliminate most redundant errors automatically.
Hence, downgrading back to Windows 7 is not the only solution. The aforementioned resolutions are workarounds that can ensure a positive result in your case. These steps work on all types of Windows PCs and laptops, in which QuickBooks is prevented from running smoothly.
If you feel muddled and are still unsure, call us for instant support pertaining to ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error. Our QuickBooks tech team of experts will help you conquer such errors in minutes. Simply dial our QuickBooks support helpline number 1800-797-5219.