If QuickBooks Pro 2018 not responding, this article can show you how to fix this. QuickBooks is a business solutions software that offers payments, billing and payroll management facilities, and cloud functionality to small and medium enterprises.
When users try to open QuickBooks Desktop, they might see an error that QuickBooks has stopped working or the program might freeze.
Causes Of QuickBooks Pro 2018 Not Responding
- The company name is longer than recommended.
- The QBWUSER.INI file is damaged/missing.
- The hard drive is corrupted.
- QuickBooks Desktop or program files are damaged.
- Windows operating system is damaged.
First Solution: Using QB Install Diagnostic Tool
- After downloading the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, it must be saved to the user’s desktop, when prompted. Now, all running programs must be closed and QBInstall Tool run.
- The tool may take up to 20 minutes to run completely based on internet speed and the computer’s processing power.
- After the tool has run, the computer must be restarted, so that the components are fully updated.
Second solution: Restarting computer and disabling anti-virus temporarily
- After rebooting the computer, QuickBooks Desktop must be opened.
- If the error recurs, the anti-virus must be disabled temporarily. A QuickBooks expert must be contacted or the anti-virus’ documentation must be referred to for disabling it.
Third solution: Renaming the QBWUSER.ini file
- When the QBWUSER.ini file is renamed, the list of previously opened company files is deleted. So, users have to manually open the company files.
- To rename the QBWUSER.ini file, users must open the folder containing the file. If the folder isn’t visible, users might have to enable all hidden files and folders (please ask our Accountingissue QuickBooks Technical Support Team how to do this).
Location: \Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- Now, users might right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and choose Rename. Then, they must add ‘.old’ to the end of the file’s name.
For example: QBWUSER.ini.old
Next the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file must be renamed.
Following the renaming of the QBWUSER.ini or the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file, users should try to open a company file:
- If the sample file can be opened, but no the company file, users must copy the file to another folder and try to open the file there; the folder should be a local folder and not located in a network. If the company file can be opened from the changed location, the error might be due to a damaged folder or folder permissions.
- If users are still unable to sign into the file, the company file is probably damaged. In such a case, users must try to restore a previous backup of the file.
- If the sample company file can’t be opened or QuickBooks can’t be started, the original QuickBooks installation has been damaged.
Fourth solution: Reinstalling QuickBooks via clean install
NOTE: Before QuickBooks is uninstalled, users must have their QuickBooks Desktop download file or the installation CD and license numbers at hand.
1 : Uninstalling QB Desktop
- First, users must press Windows + R for opening the Run command, where they must type Control Panel and select OK.
- Then, they must select Programs and Features (in case Control Panel is located in Category View, choose Uninstall A Program).
- Next, choose QuickBooks from the list of programs and select Uninstall/Change. Now, follow the instructions for completing the process.
- If an error occurs and users can’t uninstall QuickBooks, a QuickBooks expert must be contacted because the error indicates that the Windows operating system is corrupted.
2 : Renaming the installation folders
Users can use the QB Clean Install Tool for automatic renaming of the folders. But there’s also the option of manually renaming the QuickBooks Installation folders.
Downloading and running the QB Clean Install Tool
- After downloading the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.exe file, it must be saved on the system’s desktop. Now the exe must be opened and then, users must accept the license agreement.
- Next, after choosing the QuickBooks version, users must choose Continue.
- Then, when the message “QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory” appears, users must choose OK.
Manually renaming the installation folders
- The Windows Explorer must be used for showing all hidden folders and renaming all the folders locations that are listed for the user’s Windows version.
- Ideally, ‘old’ or ‘damaged’ must be added to the end of the folder’s name. Doing so prevents QuickBooks from recognising the folder to make a new one.
Location of folder :
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
3: Reinstalling QuickBooks
Fifth solution: Creating a new Windows admin user
Our Accountingissue QuickBooks Technical Support Team can show you how to do this.
If the problem isn’t solved or more information is required, please call our Accountingissue QuickBooks Tech Support Team at this toll-free number +1800-797-5219. The Accountingissue helpdesk is available 24X7 to provide assistance on any QuickBooks -related issue.